[Dixielandjazz] Arts Organizations

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 09:42:48 PST 2009

I am a bitt sorry that my post about a possible Art Czar in the USA
generated so much anti-government hype, and political discussion. That
was not my intent. Merely for folks to sign, or not sign the petition
started by Quincy Jones.

Don't think for a moment that Dixieland Bands will not qualify as Arts
Organizations, and/or not be funded by Arts organizations. My band
does indeed get arts funding from more than one such organization or
foundation here in the Philadelphia Metropolitan area.

Last year we obtained two grants to perform at local hugh schools
through an Arts Foundation. This year they passed those grants to a
swing band and a zydeco band. Such concerts are free to the public and
the grants cover all band expenses plus a generous performance fee.
Other events this particular organization has sponsored in their long
history include a talk by Dr. Martin Luther King, and similar public
figures.

Meanwhile, this year we have several gigs that are partially funded by
Arts organizations.

I'm pretty sure other Dixieland Bands around the country have received
similar grants, or arts funding. Probably those that apply for them,
and/or belong to their local cultural associations.

So, in my mind, it makes sense to lobby for an Art Czar. Especially
if, as part of the equation, Jazz Band leaders and other activists
continue to point out that:

JAZZ, IS A UNIQUELY AMERICAN ART FORM. It is America's Music.

Like most things in life and government, things do not automatically
happen. If we want something, we have to make our wants heard.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband