[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Secretary of Arts for USA

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jan 11 13:45:56 PST 2009

Hey, if I wanted to go out and work in a bunch of bars and get paid very little to hear the owner gripe about the cash register or door could, I could fill my calendar.

I hear you Bill - I dumped those jobs years ago.  At one time when I was in college and when I had a young family I would drive hundreds of miles sometimes for a gig. I would do bars and generally anywhere I could turn a buck.  I simply needed the money.

Today it's a completely different thing.  I still take jobs that may be marginal or not fun gigs but I do well with the checks.  Actually I'm a completely different animal than I was then.  At that time I played with bands -- today I am the band.  At that time I only did music -- today I entertain and sing along with the music.  At that time I was not a particularly astute businessman and today I keep getting better at it.  As I have said before, It's not about the music but a whole bunch of other things that the music part is only just that, a part.

I wish that when I was young I had understood the dynamics of the music business better.  Actually it's a multi faceted thing and differs greatly but the one thing that is true for everyone, as I see it, you have to be so much more than just a good musician to make it over the long haul.  Good musicianship is what gets you in but it won't keep you there.

I have found a niche and it's working for me.  I am working when most others aren't.  The only thing that is a problem is getting people to think out of that niche.  It's sort of like being type cast in acting.

The bulk of my events are now corporate and I'm still doing well with that one exception but the private stuff is going away as is the work with other bands.  People just don't have the bucks lying around.  I suspect the wedding planners are taking it in the neck.........couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.  I also suspect that the churches aren't doing as well.  St. Louis University church hosts a lot of the high end weddings so they and others like them may not be doing as well with their rentals.  It's like a rock got dropped in a puddle and the ripples are spreading out.

One of the things with the wedding trade is that you book strings.  That is, you play a wedding and will book one of the brides maids or someone at the wedding will take your card and you will do the same thing over and over.  Break those strings and it's hard to get established back.  This is what I think will happen with the wedding band that has, as the leader said, took a year off.

I sub with two big bands and play all the gigs with a third.  The sub gigs aren't there.  Two things are happening: first is that the guys in the bands aren't copping out on gigs so they don't need subs as often and there aren't as many jobs.  The third group is pretty expensive and only books about 10 or so a year.  I worked a lot of high end weddings with a 6 pc group with three singers and that has gone away.  I also noticed that a guy that I work some low end Sunday afternoon gigs with hasn't called me either.

While my act is doing well, the bottom line isn't going to be so good because of the other bands that I play with are not doing well.  Surprisingly, I am way ahead in gigs for my personal act from last year so I guess I am going to work at booking my Duo / solo act more.

I really take my hat off to guys like you who do some good stuff like Basie.  It's true the people do love it but it's like getting kids to eat there vegetables.  They really like it if they try it but getting them to try it can be a chore.

I have been at this so long that I think that I'm like the old fire horse....just ring the bell and I'm rarin' to go.  Trouble is the bell isn't ringing very much.  Music is like a narcotic.... you get to where you crave it.

Meanwhile I booked a Chili cook off next Saturday night with my Latin act.  It's not for a huge amount of pay but as with any gig there is always the possibility of spin offs, those strings I talked about.

Hey come on..... quit laughing.  I will get paid and get all the chili I can eat too.  OLAY !!!
Larry
St.Louis