[Dixielandjazz] Secretary of Arts

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 10:33:51 PST 2009

<<It's exactly the LACK of Government which led to the big corporate  blocks
to bleach out all traces of good music from  commercial FM and AM  radio.>>

I have to disagree. It's a lack of market. This nation was built on
Capitalism, Free Enterprise and a Free Market, and it's only been when  government
interfered that things get screwed up. If there was a market for it,  and a
profit to be made, it would be provided.

My band has existed solely on market for 26 years. Never accepted of sought
a grant or subsidy . . . not once. On the other hand, the symphonies haven't
learned how to even exist based on market and exists solely on grants and
donations. In other words, you & I pay so some else can enjoy music that I  don't
listen to.

<<We've been drifting away from intelligent and enjoyable music for  decades,
and, Bill, it ain't gonna get any better as long as the inmates are  running
the asylum.>>

Why do some folks (and I do love you Harold, truly, I do) have to blame
everything on what government does or does not do. You have to remember, that
every musical style that exists, displaced something that preceded. Once again,
it's the dumbing down of the market and our culture. I could even go so far,
justifiably so, to say that a HUGE source of the problem lies in Hollywood.
TV,  movies, computerization, pro-tools, media giants, lack of parental
direction,  and quite frankly, a whole bunch of you are currently reading this, that
are at  fault.

YEA, YOU BLUE HAIRS! When was the last time you took your kids, or grand
kids, or some neighbor's kids, to a real GOOD jazz concert? Eh? Did I strike a
nerve? I did a concert recently, with a wonderful, lively, happening trad jazz
band where kids under 18 were free. Did any of the older folks care enough
about  the continuance of the music to put some kid in the car and bring them
along?  NO. Not one!

One of the few things I remember from my early Sunday School classes was:
"Don't criticize or complain about that which you permit, and if you criticize,
the provide a solution.

Government is NOT the solution, it is the problem. I just gave you a
solution. Create a market. Markets are NOT government's job. Government does NOT
create jobs, it creates welfare.

<<Bring on a Secretary of Arts, and Jazz back in the White House, and  ask
yourself if the Government can do any worse than  what we're lving  through
right now, musically speaking.>>

Absolutely it can. With any handout and regulation, comes control, and more
regulation and interference with personal liberty. There is ALWAYS a string
attached.

Imagine this, Imagine the government telling you, that you had to have
certain racial ratios and quotas in your band or you couldn't work? How about
having to hire people simply because of their economic status rather than their
musical ability? How about having to give a preference to single parents? How
about governing what you could or could not say from the stage at a
governmentally sponsored gig? How about having to hire a certain number of
homosexuals, simply because of who they have sex with, rather than if they can  cut High
Society?

There are a lot of songs that you guys currently play that would be totally
forbidden due to the fact that they're totally not politically correct, or
sexist, or racist, or not fairly balanced.

BTW, I can back all my arguments with facts and logic. Not simply stuff  that
sounds and feels good.

Some folks ask, "What were they thinking?" One of my best friends would
answer, "They weren't."

Bill

In a message dated 1/11/2009 10:37:39 A.M. Central Standard Time,