[Dixielandjazz] Audiences

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Jan 11 05:04:35 PST 2009

We play a lot, really a lot, in local clubs...one in particular that has
nitely performances spread between jazz (of various moods) & blues...both
local & visiting bands.  Some of the other clubs are heavier on the 1960's
remake bands, and have us in on occassion.  Our best local haunt has us in
for a week to 10 nites a month.  We have been able to figure out a pattern
in audience reaction over the years, due to this situation that we find
ourselves in.  It won't necessarily be the norm for other bands, as ours is
peculiar to it's own make-up, location, etc. Nevertheless, here is what we
have found.......

Audiences at the clubs are different than those that come to a concert in a
concert hall, which has been advertised as the "so & so" band, and many know
what they are going to get.  At the clubs, many have just wandered in off
the street (lots of people on our downtown pedestrial mall type streets at
nite!).

With this "drop in" type of crowd, you get all kinds of individual
reactions.  However, there is the "collective reaction", the audience as an
overall group that is interesting, and is the reason for my commentary here.

Most are a "non-clued in" crowd, having come in 'cause the joint is crowded,
noisy, and probably looks like a fun place to be.  The front doors are
glass, and there is even a window, so people can see in & get an idea before
entering. Many don't know that solos can be applauded for (if the mood
strikes).  If we get a smattering of applause after a nice solo, I might
say, before the next song, that we enjoy that reaction if it is an honest
reaction to a good solo.  Usually gets a laugh, and people then respond, and
that warms things up.  Only takes a table or two to get things going,
usually.

Then, there is that particular nite.  After all these years, I've never been
able to understand what makes up the reasons for the three types of nites we
see:

1.  the band is hot, the audience is less so.....
2.  the audience is hot, the band is less so....
3.  both band & audience are hot......

Any one of those 3 variations of ambience can be affected by:

a.  a table or two that are hip........these can set off a chain reaction,
and bring the whole club around
b.  a table or two who couldn't give a damn.....these can be difficult to
bring around, even using all the tricks learned after more than 50 yrs of
performing.

Number 1 happens, and is mainly the cause of the lack of "a.", and the
overabundance of "b.".
Number 2 doesn't happen often, but it can happen.  Reason is hard to spot.,
but I find it upsetting (to me)
Number 3 happens, and there is no obvious reason for it, except maybe the
lack "b.".  It's when the magic happens.  Yes, the audience does have an
effect on the band.  It IS a magic moment.

One must remember that we are normally playing to a multi-language,
multi-culture & multi-age crowd since we play in a major European capital
city where tourism is number one.  Jokes & chatter between songs, in any
language, don't particularly work. Response to the audience as far as choice
of tunes, etc., is important, and is constantly with me as a concern, but
there is very little "contact" other than that.

Our band is always referred to as a "fun" band, although we don't do
anything particularly fun physically.  The fun is in the music.
Since everyone in the band has been a  practicing, professional musician
since early youth, we don't rely on egotism as a comunicator with our
audiences.  We rely on the music.  That is what we know. That is what we do
well.  Nor do we make love to them, as someone on djml has suggested .  The
only intercourse going on in the band is between the various musicians and
at a musical level.

I have little time to be thinking about myself, making love, or anything
else during a 45 minute set.  My full concentration is on my fellow band
members, my horn, and the music we are trying to communicate with.  A noisy
table can distract one from this goal, just as a swinging audience can make
it easier.

I'm sure that various quotes from the greats can be slung at me to try to
prove this or that, but that can't change what we actually experience in our
own peculiar (& very fortunate) situation which I have struggled to put
forth here.

Jim, (Madrid, Spain)