[Dixielandjazz] Audiences

budtuba at aol.com budtuba at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 06:19:56 PST 2009

1.  the band is hot, the audience is less so.....
2.  the audience is hot, the band is less so....
3.  both band & audience are hot......

 Situation 1:? The band feeds its enthusiasm off each other and that's enough.? Meanwhile, many audiences have become so used to background music and noise in life that they converse in spite of it.? To bad for them, play the gig and regard it as a great rehearsal.

Situation 2:? The band has some other factor preventing themselves from getting engaged.? Maybe someone has problems he brought with him.? When you sense this situation, have a huddle and cheerlead the group and individuals or on the break mention, "something isn't clicking tonight..any ideas?"? Remember, no matter how good or famous a player is, a personal compliment will perk them up.

Situation 3.? Make sure you talk to the event sponsor before you leave.

I am reminded of the Blues Brothers movie at the country and western club where they played on a stage that was surrounded by chicken wire to keep beer bottles away.? I haven't decided? which situation that is.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
Trad Jazz since 1958...we ain't just whistling dixie!