[Dixielandjazz] More Gene Krupa Centenary Items

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 9 13:48:32 PST 2009

Greetings again folks
Since my earlier e-mail about the Krupa centenary, I’ve discovered a few
other items of interest.

Firstly I’ve updated my website to include a complete revision of the
Krupa  page with video clips as well as audio clips.
www.traditional-jazz.com

BBC Radio Two started a series of 30 minute documentaries this evening.
Presented by Stewart Copeland, the first episode covered Baby Dodds, and
his influence, Chick Webb and some great musical extracts.
The show was written by Russell Davies, who has an impressive pedigree.

It is worth writing to Radio Two to register your  appreciation of the
show. I have opened a message on the Radio 2 Message Boad discussing
Gene & the programme. You may like to add a comment. The address is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio2/F4387184?thread=6213428

You can catch the show on the BBC Website now at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?radio2/1900_fri

There is also: GENE KRUPA - AMERICA’S ACE DRUMMER MAN
A CENTENARY CELEBRATION AT THE CADOGAN HALL, SLOANE TERRACE LONDON SW1.
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 26TH 2009 AT 7:30
PERFORMED BY RICHARD PITE (drums) WITH PETE LONG’S BIG BAND
JOAN VISKANT (vocals) AND SPECIAL GUEST ENRICO TOMASSO (trumpet)
Box office  0207 730 4500

Finally, I spoke to Paul Barnes today and I can promise three hours
crammed with great music. Some well known tracks, others rarer. Tune in
and e-mail with your comments while we are on air if you can.
Paul.barnes at bbc.co.uk
The show is on  BBC Radio Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, & Essex at
18:00 utc (6PM UK time) Saturday 10th January. You can hear it live on
the web at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlive/bbc_radio_norfolk/
and after the show for 7 days at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk
If you enjoy either Krupa radio show, you may consider recommending them
to BBC Radio Four's Pick of the Week. Having a famous musician's
centenary is a golden opportunity to further promote jazz.
The email address is potw at bbc.co.uk
Have a good weekend

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com