[Dixielandjazz] Miscellaneous Ramblings

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 9 14:04:41 PST 2009

Was the ODJB the first band to record jazz? Maybe not. There is an
interesting article on the first jazz recordings at:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/jazz1917.html

Also, we are probably all familiar with how well Bob Wilber plays and
many have seen or heard him live. But how did he sound at 18, with the
Wildcats + Sidney Bechet?

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ai8Go9aqvw

In the picture are: Bechet, Wilber, John Glasel, trumpet, Bob Mielke
trombone; Dick Wellstood, piano; Denny Strong, drums; and Chuck
Traeger, bass.

Bob Mielke, Dick Wellstood and Chuck Traeger may also be heard with
Bunk Johnson about the same time when Bunk was recorded at the Caravan
Ballroom in NYC in 1947, Hear them on AMCD-45 .

Traeger, one of the unsung heroes of the music, was my best gig buddy
in the 1950s. He is retired now, living in upstate NY with wife June
and just turned 82. Later in life he became one of the premier bass
repairmen in the world and his book on bass set up, a classic, is
considered by many to be the finest work available on the subject.
Among other things, it contains one easy tip on setting up the sound
peg that will knock your bass player's socks off by effortlessly
improving sound production.

"Set Up and Repair of The Double Bass For Optimum Sound"   375 pages
or so.  Forward by Ron Carter, a satisfied customer. .

$68 on Amazon (List $85) and if you are a double bass player, WELL
WORTH IT!

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband