[Dixielandjazz] hot sessions

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jan 9 09:38:30 PST 2009

There was some mention of recordings before the 1950's being so-called "hot
sessions", where musicians came off their late nite gigs & recorded into the
early morning hours while being high on whatever.

While we all know that was sometimes the case, I don't think it was
necessarily the norm.  However, one LP I just dug out claims to be one of
those, according to the liner notes.

The Golden Era of Dixieland Jazz on Design Records.  The one I have is
Volume 2 with Buster Bailey, clarinet, Vic Dickenson, trombone, Marty
Napoleon, piano, Arvell Shaw, bass, Rex Stewart, trumpet, and George
Wettling, drums.

Quote:  "Everyone brought their own brand plus an extra bottle for a
friend."  "....run as a get together rather than a recording session....."
"The squeak in "Relaxation Blues" is a cork being pulled out of a bottle."

The music is excellent, but they are, of course, all excellent musicians, &
I doubt if the session was a complete free-for-all.

Most sessions run under these conditions, at least in my experience, have
been complete fiascos.  I once sat in a studio almost all night (being paid
by the hour as a session musician!) while the pianist/composer ranted &
raved while doing curious things with some white dust.  Very little got
recorded.

Recording sessions require talent & concentration.  Live gigs, require the
same, along with other skills (such as crowd management) to pull off
properly.  While some personalities feel they need a "calmer downer" before
playing, I find a couple of shots of cafe solo (larger than the U.S.
expresso) to be more useful.  Excess in either direction is not normally
good, although (if the liner notes of the above LP can be believed) there is
always the exception

Jim