[Dixielandjazz] Big Sid Catlett

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 08:49:25 PST 2009

Hi John et al,

Many thanks for your response. Yes, I've got the Rex Stewart book and the
Barney Bigard book, which has a brief section on Catlett and of course Burt
Korall's fine book Drummin' Men, which devotes a whole chapter to him, as
well as containing numerous cross-references in chapters on other drummers.
There's actually a great deal of info about him in print, but the problem is
that it's spread around thinly in a large number of sources. Burt Korall's
chapter is the most comprehensive source I've found so far. What's needed is
a biog to bring together the best of this existing material in a coherent
manner and new information culled from personal interviews, analysis of
recordings etc.

It's hard to compare different players objectively, as personal taste is
such a big factor, but for me, what characterises Sid was his musicality: he
was a consummate musican whose instrument happened to be drums, whereas a
lot of the big-name drummers may be fine musicians, but are first and
foremost outstanding drummers. With Sid there was plenty of showmanship, but
the concert recordings show that, even when there's obviously stick-throwing
and other business going on, his drumming still makes musical and rhythmic
sense. I get the strong sense that the music always came first and that his
conceptual approach to playing (varying his support for other musicians,
playing on the front of the beat and driving the performance with urgency,
constructing solos around melodic ideas, subordinating technique in the
pursuit of musical ideas) was very influential among the drummers of the
next generation.

Indeed, Max Roach once described him to me as "The Bridge", the crucial link
between the older drumming styles and the (then) revolutionary jazz of the
be-boppers. "Big Sid was 'The Bridge' and we all crossed over on what he
laid down" was his quote. If I can get the book written before I become too
old and decrepit, it'll be called The Bridge.

I really need to get up to speed on Catlett with Condon, which I'm ashamed
to say is a totally new topic for me, so I'd appreciate listers' advice on
the best Condon recordings to further my education.

Regards and thanks,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk