[Dixielandjazz] Big Sid Catlett

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 8 17:56:31 PST 2009

Ken Mathieson wrote [in part]:
> ........ Yes, I've got the Rex Stewart book and the Barney Bigard
> book, which has a brief section on Catlett and of course Burt
> Korall's fine book Drummin' Men, which devotes a whole chapter to
> him.......

Dear Ken,
Another book worth tracking down, with lots of references to Big Sid,
is:
Whitney Balliett's 'Collected Works. A Journal of Jazz
1954-2000' (2000. St Martin's Press).
It contains dozens of items involving Sid including the pieces
published in Balliett's 1954 book 'The Sound Of Surprise'.
You might also check the bibliography under Catlett's entry in 'The
New Grove Dictionary Of Jazz'; the Catlett biog in 'Jazz. The Rough
Guide' (1995. Penguin Books. Ian Carr, Digby Fairweather and Brian
Priestley) which contains some interesting comments and the notes by
Dr Ian Crosbie to the 'Benny Goodman and Sid Catlett CD 'Roll 'Em'.
(1991 Vintage Jazz Classics. VJC-1032.)
Dan Morgenstern's book of essays 'Living With Jazz'. A Reader edited
by Shelton Meyer (2004. Pantheon Books) also has information about Big
Sid including specific references to his work with Armstrong,
Commodore, Ellington, Keynote and Hot Lips Page.
Very kind regards,
Bill.