[Dixielandjazz] Big Sid Catlett

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 7 14:33:29 PST 2009

Hi Ken,
Very interested in your bio on Big Sid. Presumably you have the article
by Rex Stewart in his book.
Sid was beyond doubt a genius. I always maintained that Louis' Allstars
had a downward progression of drummers. Sid, then Cozy, not so good,
Kenny John, good swinger, Barrett  Deems, not in the same league as Sid
or Cozy and finally the awful Danny Barcelona.
Sid, along with Baby Dodds is one of the most difficult drummers to
imitate. Both Zutty snd Gene are relatively easy to approximate - and I
do mean approximate. But no one can get close to Baby or Sid.
An interesting note on the Condon recording of O Katharina from 2 Dec
1943, we  see that Sid was human after all. He SLOWS down in his solo.
It is really heartening for us mere mortals to realise that these
geniuss suffer from many of our shortcomings!
Many of Sid's records would be desert island discs. Steak Face from the
Symphony Hall concert, the wonderful  Teddy Wilson Sextet session from
the early 40s, Victory Stride, either take, with James P, any of the
Bechets.......Don't foreget the Esquire jazz concert...
Sid left us too early. Its time for an in depth study of his legacy.
Eagerly awaited
Keep swinging

--
John Petters