[Dixielandjazz] Condon

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 6 19:49:16 PST 2009

I believe I have consistently stated in all my posts on the subject
that the records are wonderful. All of them. Bottom line? What's to
forgive?. All I have said in the below post is that the recordings, as
good as they are, do not do justice to the music these guys performed
live. That, in my not so humble opinion needs to be said.

The evidence for that is plentiful, in many books like Sudhalter's
"Lost Chords"  As well as in oral history from guys who were there at
the time like Jack Maheu, whom Sudhalter quotes, and others who worked
with Condon, and music lovers who hung out with them on the OKOM scene.

No knock on you, Bob, or those who were not privileged to be there at
the time, that is an accident of birth.  I was lucky to have been
there then, and still be here now. That is also an accident of birth.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone