[Dixielandjazz] Condon

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Tue Jan 6 13:31:56 PST 2009

Stephen G Barbone wrote:

>> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote
>>

>> In my (not so) humble opinion, this may be true in some cases.  But
>> in the
>> Condon mid 50 recordings, all that is missing is the crowd noise and
>> smell
>> of beer and cigarettes.  The music has not lost any energy of a live
>> performance.
>
> Hey Bob:
>
> What leads you to that comparison?
>
> How many times did you hear Condon in a Live Performance at West 3rd
> Street in the 1950s? Those who both heard him live, and then bought
> the records around the same time they heard him live, would probably
> disagree. I know I do.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Those of us who were not privileged to spend our time listening to
Condon and his gang live might be forgiven for casting a less discerning
eye on the examples of his music that we do have than we might
otherwise. No doubt the lack of a tougher comparison allows people in my
and Bob's position to get something that is not wholly objective out of
the Condon studio recordings that those who were more blessed in life
are sadly denied. I wonder if you will become more forgiving of the
recordings as the individual musicians become inevitably less available ...

Steve Holzer