[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Jazz Band in Napa Sun Jan 11, 2009

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Jan 4 22:08:31 PST 2009

Bob Shoring wrote:

> On Sunday, January 11, 2009, from 1:00 to 5:00 PM, the Napa
> Valley Dixieland Jazz Society invites you to enjoy an
> afternoon of traditional jazz featuring:
>
> Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll Jazz Band

[snip some details]

> In the band on January 11th are:
> Ted Shafer, Leader on Banjo
> Leon Oakley on Cornet
> Tom Belmessieri on Trumpet
> Glenn Calkins on Trombone
> Pete Main on Reeds
> Tom Barneby on Piano
> Jim O'Briant on Tuba
> Bert Thompson on Drums

Thanks for the plug, Bob!  The Napa Valley Dixieland Society says
that the Jelly Roll Jazz Band's annual appearance there each
January always has the biggest crowd of the year.

I spoke with Ted this evening, and there may be one or two
personnel changes, due to a schedule conflict.  But Leon will be
there on Cornet, with Pete Main on reeds and Glenn Calkins on
trombone, and the rhythm section should be pretty much as
advertised.

I'm looking forward to playing there next Sunday. It's a fun gig
with an appreciative crowd.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA