[Dixielandjazz] live vs recorded

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Jan 4 08:41:09 PST 2009

I don't really like to discuss "live vs. recorded", as I agree that they are
two different animals.  When you see a band live, you do exactly that...you
see the band + you hear the band, PLUS you drink in all the ambience.  You
can't get all of that even when watching/listening to a DVD or a live
performance on TV in your home.  You are in your home, so you're not "jazzed
up" (pun intented) like you would be if you were out.  To go out, you get
dressed up, maybe go to dinner, have some wine maybe, and by the time you
get to the performance part....you are, hopefully, in the mood.

At home, with a CD, there are distractions, and you had none of that "going
out" preparation.  Also, we are hearing from people on this subject (on
djml) who are remembering going out during their youth, and comparing that
to listening situations in their homes now, 50 years on!  Nothing is the
same, so a comparison is invalid.

On to recording:  I prefer our band on our 3 live recordings (done in clubs)
over our first, which was done in a studio.  Having said that, there are a
number of tunes we do that I would like to record in the studio now, and
maybe mix those songs with others done live.  A little of both worlds sort
of thing.

I daresay, though, that even when a band is recorded live, they know they
are being recorded, and they will play a bit differently than on a normal
nite, taking less chances perhaps.  This is just natural, as any musician is
aware that it is "going down for history", and we take care to play "very
well", which can often lower the "heat" of the normal sound of the band.
Our band is made up of recording session musicians, and even we experience
that, so this rule will have to apply to most.

It's really all down to personal preferences anyway, so is a bit silly to
try to compare.  Commercially speaking, I do find that the audience, when
buying a CD, are particularly interested when you say "a live recording", as
they hopefully are taking home something similar to what they just heard.

Jim