[Dixielandjazz] "On Our Merry Way" (was Henry Fonda, trumpeter)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 2 19:50:31 PST 2009

Anton Crouch mentioned:
> Henry Fonda actually played the part of a trumpet player in the
> comedy "On Our Merry Way" (1948)....... teaming of and his friend
> James Stewart and has a cameo appearance by Harry James.......... I
> don't know whose trumpet playing it is on the soundtrack.

Dear Anton,
My research has unearthed film stills of the pair from "On Our Merry
Way" at:
    http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/films/16600
In the 1999 Peter J Levinson book 'Trumpet Blues. The Life of Harry
James' mention is made of the film "On Our Merry Way" and that James
"did have a cameo playing himself, but not performing".
Which makes me wonder if there is any music included at all in the
short story where "....hapless jazz musicians Henry Fonda and Jimmy
Stewart mistake the word "baby" for "babe" and describe how a shapely
trumpet-playing dish upended their lives....".
The film was also released as 'A Miracle Can Happen'.
Kind regards,
Bill.