[Dixielandjazz] "On Our Merry Way" (was Henry Fonda, trumpeter)

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 2 20:48:27 PST 2009

Hello Bill

It's quite a while since I saw the picture but I do remember quite
clearly that there are 3 trumpet playing episodes, involving:

1. The mayor's son, Zoot (Carl Switzer), who is a terrible player,
2. Lank (Henry Fonda), co-leader of a dance band,
3. Lola (Dorothy Ford), the "little girl" who turns out to be a really
hot number, in more ways than one. A veritable Valaida Snow!

Whoever plays the trumpet parts on the soundtrack does a fine job. Zoot
sounds far worse than any raw beginner and Lola soars like Harry James.
When Lank is playing while Zoot mimes (so that Zoot can win the trumpet
competition), Lank is in a boat under the pier on which the competition
is being held. As anticipated, waves form and Lank gets seasick while
playing - wonderful.

All the best,
Anton