[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and Ragtime

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 06:36:17 PST 2009

> D and R Hardie <darnhard at ozemail.com.au> wrote
>
> Hi Everyone,
>                       Those of you with an interest in the roots of
> jazz might like to check out an article just posted on Mike Meddings
> website. Among other things it deals with the relationship between
> jazz
> and ragtime.Well known ragtime historian David Jasen points out that
> jazz is a way of performing that differs from ragtime and the ragtime
> influenced popular music of the ragtime era.
> There's a lot more there besides. If you don't know it already you can
> get there at:
>                     http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/updates.html

Interesting article Dan. Thanks for posting it. One thing I found
informative. The second paragraph was enlightening in terms of
discussing what jazz is. If true, then most of the arguments among us,
about what jazz is, or is not, are specious. <grin>

***begin snip

"Unlike ragtime, jazz is not a form of music. Jazz is defined not by
what is played but by how it is played. Jazz music is that which is
played by a jazz musician. It only exists by virtue of the musician or
group of musicians creating it. The main elements contain either solo
or collective improvisation on a theme to make variations combining a
manner of phrasing which expresses individuality through timing. The
piece can be any kind of tune or in any style. Rags, marches, dances,
classical compositions, popular tunes — all can be and are played by
jazz bands and soloists. Since jazz is not a form but an
interpretation based on some type of form, this accounts for the
endless different sounds of jazz, whether it be Muskrat Ramble
orGroovin’ High. It is nonsense to say that these tunes played by
jazzmen bear any resemblance to each other. When played by jazz
musicians, these tunes become jazz. When they are played as written,
they are no longer jazz but straight compositions."

***end snip

Cheeers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com