[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and Ragtime

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 16 12:35:38 PST 2009

Hi Steve,
                      Absolutely. It does make sense to try to define
jazz but what we often disagree about is the performance style.
Buddy Bolden was playing the dance music tunes of his time but he
introduced a new idea, ragging the tune and  introducing the blues, to
replace conventional performance as written with ad lib  improvisation.
Some one later called it jazz - jazzing it up. The David Jasen article
is an old one but its import seems to have been missed. Thanks to Mike
Medding's  dedicated team of researchers it has been revived.
regards
  Dan Hardie
http://tinyurl.com/nqaup