[Dixielandjazz] when lyrics don't rhymez

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Feb 6 13:04:40 PST 2009

Dick,

If you want to sound like a local, the pronunciation is something
like: "NorLenz" with no real accent on any part of the word. I have
also heard it sometimes pronounced "Naw - LEENS," but this is by
people who have not lived there long, or are visiting from other parts
of the South.

Nobody says "New Or Leens" unless they are copying pop songs written
on Tin Pan Alley (or just being stuffy or silly.)

However, I have not been there for a few years - the population shift
after Katrina may have also changed the general pronunciation...

Dave Richoux

(PS - can you give me a clue as to how to pronounce "Dweilorkesten?"
Since it is carnival time those crazy bands are starting to roam the
streets again! I have seen it written, heard the bands, but never the
word.)