[Dixielandjazz] when lyrics don't rhymez

Dick Sleeman dick at sleeman.nl
Fri Feb 6 11:35:14 PST 2009

Here in the low countries (where I live - actually 2.5 meter under
sea-level) I have often wondered how to pronounce certain words. The one
that comes to mind at 6am :-) is the place where it all began: New Orleans.
I hear most americans while speaking emphasize the "O"; but then it doesn't
rhyme to "Do you know what it means...), so apparently both pronunciations
are correct?

I like "At the devil's ball" as sung by Clancy Hayes (come to think of it,
I like EVERYTHING sung by C.H!). Funny lyrics of the chorus, apart from the
two lines about "Missus Devil" all lines end with the "all" sound. It never
bothered me that 'door' doesn't rhyme with 'saw'. Clancy makes it rhyme!

My two Eurocents,

Dick Sleeman