[Dixielandjazz] when lyrics don't rhymez

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 6 19:08:35 PST 2009

"Do You Know What It Means ..." was not written by a native of the city.
Natives have several pronunciations, depending on their home neighborhoods,
but none of them is "New Or-LEEns." You might hear "New Awlins" or "New
Orlins" or "New Orl-yans" or "Nyawlins" or even "Nawlins" from a native, but
not the long "E" sound and the emphasis on the last syllable.

On the other hand, when speaking of the Parish (the political subdivision
just below State level), it IS pronounced "Or-LEEns Parish."

No one gives either city or Parish the French pronunciation, go figure.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.