[Dixielandjazz] Gypsy Jazz

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Tue Dec 22 13:45:34 PST 2009

Hi Bob,

I wish I still lived in California to enjoy all the great jazz out
there. Unfortunately, the few festivals I'm able to go to each year have
been sticking pretty close to the trad end of the music, with some swing
thrown in. Well, not unfortunately, because I do love trad, but it's
just that I guess those are the ones where I'd like to see a gypsy band
added. Obviously I can't speak for all the festivals in the country when
I say what I said. And Sacramento has always led the way with diversity
at the festival, Probably why it's so popular.

The other issue is that if a band is unknown and there are many known
great bands at a festival, it's possible that there could be a great
gypsy band that I don't even know exist. At festivals it's often a "so
many great bands, so little time" thing for me. But if I ever get lucky
enough to attend Sacramento again, I'll be sure to comb the program for
a gypsy band.

Any plans to have the St. Louis Rivermen out there in 2010 or 11? If so,
we'll make it a priority!

Beth