[Dixielandjazz] Hot Club Caravan-- Weltman uses diatonic harmonica

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Dec 22 08:32:15 PST 2009

To:  DJML; Beth Schewitzer, Ginny Luetje

Re:  Hot Club Caravan- gypsy jazz with harmonica

Thanks for the link, Beth, to Hot Club Caravan.  Yes, after seeing/hearing
the clip, the harmonica player Weltman uses a diatonic harmonica.

I wasn't going to clutter the list with this minor point but since Ginny
mentioned it too, I thought I'd make further comment.

Weltman is quite good.  However, because diatonic doesn't have notes outside
the key signature, if there is an accidental, then player has two options:

1.       Try to "bend" the note to approximate the sound

2.      Play a harmony note - and another player can sound the melody note

Norman Vickers

Jazz Society of Pensacola

.