[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Unsophisticated Dixieland Chords

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Dec 18 15:57:00 PST 2009

I can't deal with the technicalities of chord theory or the extended chords,
but extended chords change the *sound* of the music, in which case it
ain't dixieland any more. I just don't *enjoy* extended chords in
dixieland--though I can enjoy *moderately* extended chord versions of
American Songbook tunes from the latter 30s-->. (I can think of a couple
of terrific local pianists who despoil Dixieland, but whom I otherwise
enjoy listening to and would hire to play in my dance band.)

--Sheik