[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Unsophisticated Dixieland Chords

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Dec 18 15:13:35 PST 2009

For some of us who were not "officially trained" in music school nor
play a chording instrument, the overall concept of chords (regular or
whatever) can be very complicated! I have absorbed some practical
skills by playing tuba for a variety of bands and such, but if you
asked me to play all the notes in a Minor G7 chord it would be a push.
When I am playing a song (even if I have never played it before) I
usually get the fundamental bass notes correct and most of the time I
can find the right passing notes (or at least close enough.)

However, just last night I happened to find this clever little website:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2qQfq3/www.thevirtualpiano.com/  that
lets you see and hear the chord notes played on a piano and explore a
bit.  Not the exotic stuff - just the basics, as far as I can get. I
suppose there are similar tools for banjos or guitars but I have not
found them.

Dave RIchoux