[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Unsophisticated Dixieland Chords

Dan Spink danspink at dceo.rutgers.edu
Fri Dec 18 14:09:16 PST 2009

Just a thought or two about chords from someone who has struggled to make
sense out of them for a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're really
talking about vertical harmony (vs. horizontal or line defined harmony). It
seems to me that most chord definitions are useful until, that is, you start
to get into the really stretched out definitions of #9 and #11 variations.
Why? Because those big, sophisticated chords usually assume you drop out
tones (or intervals) and that means you're really changing your interval
relationships. But the biggest overlooked fact, I think, is that the melody
line notes are often ignored in defining a chord (big mistake), not to
mention the passing tones of notes leading in or even out of chord. If the
idea of a chord is the notes or intervals heard at one time--all of those
notes just before or after count too, don't they? Sorry to sound like a
naysayer here, but I have one big complaint about those fancy, expanded
chords. I'm sure I'll raise hackles--but I'll give it a shot anyway. When
you add those far out sophisticated notes (9,11,13 and variations) you're
really adding overtones that are more distant--and difuse the character of
the foundation chord. When you add enough of them--you really can't tell one
chord from another. At least, that's my opinion. I still like those simple 3
and 4 note chords, I guess.

Dan (Backup pianoman) Spink

Dan (backup piano man) Spink