[Dixielandjazz] "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" and Sophie Tucker

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 17 16:37:12 PST 2009

Dear Ginny,
Further to our "Good Man" thread.
The song is a natural for Sophie Tucker yet, despite many claims, I can't find any evidence that she sang, let alone recorded it.
Apart from quite a few assumptions and misinformation on the internet.
Including the following in a short internet biography:
"The composer also worked the song into a show he wrote for Broadway in 1927. For this production, simply entitled "Vaudeville," the song was performed by the great Sophie Tucker."
Maybe Sophie never used it because it 'belonged' to Marion Harris.
I would like to be proved wrong.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I have a recollection that I mentioned this on the DJML some while back, but don't have time at the moment to comb the Archive.