[Dixielandjazz] obscure - differing opinioin

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 5 05:08:25 PST 2009

Ouch, this is one of the few times I find myself not completely agreeing
with you Steve but .........

While I agree that the new young audience for OKOM has fresh ears for most
of the mainstream 20th c. standards we play, I find audiences love to
discover new songs so I throw in an "obscure" one, maybe once a night, to
reward the few who have heard most of the standards.

I think doing this also helps differentiate the band from other OKOM groups.
When I started playing again 30 years ago nobody had heard "100 Years From
Today" in many many years. It's pretty much become one of those standards
now.

"As Time Goes By" didn't make it the first time around either and I suspect
there are others that fit this category.

Cheers,

Ric Giorgi
Rainbow Gardens Music