[Dixielandjazz] obscure

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Dec 5 04:10:08 PST 2009

Steve wrote:
>OKOM is obscure enough vis a vis "music" and I have no desire to make it
more obscure by searching out tunes which didn't make it the first time
around.

I've found myself in the same position many times. When I think an obscure
song might work, I then remember all the well-known tunes we still don't do!
"So many, so little time" sort of thing.

Depends, I suppose, in a band's audience, also.  We play to the "unwashed
masses", so obscure would really be obscure!

That doesn't mean we don't work out some pretty clever head arrangements to
make the well-knowns more interesting.  But, mostly...when we've tried an
obscure tune, we've collectively decided to leave it in obscurity after one
or two tries.  Often seems that there is a reason it was there in the first
place!

Jim