[Dixielandjazz] Band Personna

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 3 12:49:14 PST 2009

Interesting topic.

Tito Martino and I have exchanged CDs over the years and his bands are
excellent.

When looking at his post the key word for me were; "SOME people say
'you are very good but seem too serious on stage and I agree.". I took
that to mean not all people say that and maybe not even most.

IMO, when playing to audiences of what ever type, the band should try
and reach the majority of them. There will always be folks who say
"you are too serious" as well as others  who say "you clown around to
much" , or those who say "you are too loud" while others say "I can "t
hear you." Etc., etc., etc.

The trick is to figure out where the middle ground is. And to do what
it is YOU want to do as a band leader. Clowning is wonderful, Spike
Jones is a great example.. There is a market for it, just as there is
a market for serious musical persona as typified by the Modern Jazz
Quartet.

Since you may want to be less serious, Tito, then be less serious. The
recently released Ella Fitzgerald club recordings are a good pointer
for that. Listen to how she interacts with the audience and how they
respond. Or if your band mates are dour, make a small joke about it.
Etc.

Decide what you want the band persona to be, and do it. If it works
and you are happy with it, keep doing it and ignore the critics. If it
does not work try something else. Then once you find out what works
for you, just do it.

Too often we players and listeners feel that if something doesn't
appeal to us personally, then it is wrong. IMO, that's a blind alley.
It is what appeals to "most" of the audience that will carry the day
and assure continued success.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband