[Dixielandjazz] Chord Choices - was DYKWIMTMNO, Chord Decisions

Jim Franz jfranz at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 28 20:53:18 PDT 2009

Speaking of chords and tuba players, how does one learn the bass lines for
early jazz? I see the fake books with chords notation over the melody, but
from listening I hear a very different style than later jazz, but no
discussion or print to teach someone an "early jazz" style of bass playing
(for me-tuba). Is there any books or scholarly analysis of early jazz
(1900-1930) bass? The closest I've come is piano books with the full parts.
I don't have the perfect pitch to determine the notes played on a recording.
Jim Franz