[Dixielandjazz] Bass lines for early jazz

Daniel Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 29 20:02:59 PDT 2009

Jim (c: DJML)--
     I was hoping somebody else was going to jump in to answer your
question, but apparently not.  I used to ask the same question myself,
and i'm not sure i know the answer.
     However, here are things to try:

1) do as i did when i was young, play tuba along with recordings of as
many early jazz songs as you can find. Don't worry about having music
or lead-sheets, just do it.  Eventually you'll figure out the key, and
then try to play the notes the tuba/bass player is playing.  I don't
have perfect pitch either, but after a while you can match the pitches
being played.  Try slow songs with simple chord-structures at first,
like "Saints", "Just a Closer Walk with Thee", etc.  Dave Littlefield
has a list of Basic Dixieland tunes at http://americanmusiccaravan.com/davepage.html
, as well as pages on Playing Dixieland, and Dixieland planalong CDs.
He also sells one of the best dixieland fake-books available (melody
plus chords) at http://americanmusiccaravan.com/

2) there have been some books published on bass lines, one of them by
Joe Tarto, who played tuba with lots of bands back in the 1920s and
afterwards.  The book may not still be available, but it is this:
"CC3907 Basic Rhythms and the Art of Jazz Improvisation, by Joe Tarto.
Written for tuba or bass trombone, string bass, bass guitar, an
excellent basic method for beginning jazz playing, especially in
traditional/Dixieland styles. Improvising, syncopation, chords,
walking bass, breaks, blues, and Latin rhythms are among the many
subjects covered." It used to be available at Charles Colin: http://charlescolin.com/descript.htm#CC3907
   (but may not be in print any more; you might check some libraries
or eBay).

3) one learns to do something by trying to do it, so try to find a
small group of people in your town who also want to play this style of
early jazz, and play along with them.  You'll have fun doing so, and
you'll learn how to do it.  There are also a lot (more than you would
think) jazz societies and magazines around.  I put together a list of
a lot of them at http://www1.onr.com/atjs/links/USA.html

     Doing these things (all at the same time, not one after the
other) should get you on your way.  By far the most important thing to
do is to LISTEN, but do so actively, trying to figure out the notes
being played, the chord being played, the chord-structure of the tune,
groups of measures (usually 8 bars in length) that are repeated, the
form of the tune (A-A-B-A a lot of times).  You don't learn jazz by
reading about it, you learn it (mostly) by playing it, so go play
some, even if (to your ears) it sucks.  Like Dave Gannett so
eloquently said (in relation to learning how to improvise), you have
to be willing to suck for ten years before you learn how to do it. But
go do it, don't read about it.

     Dan