[Dixielandjazz] Richard Sudhalter

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 14:49:02 PDT 2008

Whatever he might have done or not done, Richard (he was known as Dick
when he lived in Europe) Sudhalter was an excellent musician.
Having read Albert Hayim's article, I wish to add that "Sweat and Hot"
is a part of Jazzology 274, "Dick Sudhalter & The Anglo-American
Alliance,the Tuesday Band."

Unfortunately, the GHB purchase of the 77 catalogue did not include
the two volumes of Sudhalter and Son; I could not afford them when
they came out, and have been searching for them ever since.

The Classic Jazz Quartet, according to the notes to their first
record, started as "Bourgeois Scum," but found it difficult to secure
jobs with that name, and finding a company prepared to record it -
impossible; hence the change of name.  A great group, with Dick
Wellstood, Joe Muranyi and Marty Grosz, and well worth having.  And
there'll be no more recordings from either Wellstood or Sudhalter,
which makes the CD, which contains the contents of two LPs (one
originally on Stomp Off)  even more valuable.

Cheers