[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz in NYC

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 18 17:00:33 PDT 2008

The below is from my pal Bruce McNichols. Looks like NYC has a new
trad jazz   craze starting up.      2 beat also!!! <grin>. Worth a
visit if you visit the Big Apple. Like someone once said. If you can't
find      circumstances that suit your taste, make your own.
Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

"Bruce McNichols" <muskrat at bestweb.net>

Sunday nights are getting better each week. Join us in New York's new
hot area,Houston Street. There are clubs everywhere, most with music.
Until we started  this gig (last month) I had no idea what a happenin'
part of town this is. The National Undergound is a very special place.
The funky decor. the lighting, thesuper-friendly management & staff,
combined with the interaction between the   band and the crowd, makes
every Sunday into A NIGHT OF GOOD TIMES.

EVERY SUNDAY   7:30 - 11:30PM

John Gill's Underground Saloon Band
THE NATIONAL UNDERGROUND
159 East Houston Street (Where 1st Avenue meets Allen Street)
New York, NY 10002   (212) 475-0611 Best Burgers in the World

John Gill (trombone, banjo & vocals)
Was with the Turk Murphy, Leon Redbone etc.

Brian Nalepka (tuba, string bass & vocals)
Founding member: Manhattan Rhythim Kings

Terry Waldo (piano & vocals)
Ragtime master/educator, record producer

Kevin Dorn (two-beat drums)
was with Jim Culum Jazz Band and many more

Bruce McNichols (soprano sax, banjo & vocals)
Smith Street Society Jazz Band, OKOM.com, etc.

Old-time Pop tunes (from the 1890's through the 1960's) in a romping-
stomping,
West Coast, two-beat style.

When we end, the next band takes over.  Don't miss it.

LISTEN TO RADIO OKOM - Old-time music   24/7
www.okom.com