[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Reviews

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 2 22:11:56 PDT 2008

DJMLers--
     OK, i know i shouldn't be doing this, after a bit of malted
beverages, but it occurred to me that we do have among us some folks
who have written reviews of concerts or recordings.
     As one who has written a few of these (for http://www.atjs.org/),
i am always interested in what the reviewer is trying to address.  I
mean, do you really write what you think about the performance, or do
you tailor it to the situation (website, liner notes, printed review,
whatever).  I am a fan of Virgil Thomson's reviews (as well as his
music), which not only displayed sensibilities of the the grateful
use of language, but usually acknowledged the level of the performing
group and what one might artistically expect from such an
organization.
     Mr. Calder, Mr. Haesler, and many others, what do you think?
What do you aim for?  What is your audience (as you perceive it)?
How much do you feel you should tone down your pronouncements?
     Nobody loves critics, unless they praise us.

     Dan
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**      "Reality is an illusion brought on by the lack of alcohol."
**                    -- Anonymous