[Dixielandjazz] Feinstein and Sinatra (plus a little Gershwin)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 1 06:29:56 PDT 2008

If you are into Sinatra (or the American Songbook) Michael Feinstein
is a great act to see when in NYC.
Cheers,
Steve Barbone

September 1, 2008 - NY TIMES - By Stephen Holden
Feinstein Comes Full Swing to Capitol-Era Sinatra

When Michael Feinstein begins a five-night engagement on Tuesday
evening, performing Frank Sinatra songs with a 17-piece big band in
the ballroom at Feinstein’s at Loews Regency, the Manhattan supper
club bearing his name will open its 10th-anniversary season. The date
coincides with the release of his 24th album, “The Sinatra
Project” (Concord), a record that differs from all other tributes to
Ol’ Blue Eyes in its fusion of Mr. Feinstein’s passions for performing
and musical archaeology.

Before he took to the stage, Mr. Feinstein, who turns 52 on Sunday,
spent seven years as Ira Gershwin’s assistant and amassed an
invaluable trove of Gershwiniana that is now housed at the Library of
Congress. His cabaret performances and four annual concerts at Zankel
Hall include fascinating obscurities he has dug up from the past,
alternate lyrics and little-known verses from familiar standards.

Recorded mostly in Los Angeles at Capitol Records’ Studio A, where
Sinatra made his classic concept albums, “The Sinatra Project” is a
scrupulous effort to recreate the sound and style of the late-’50s
Capitol albums Sinatra recorded with arranger-conductors like Nelson
Riddle and Billy May. Several of the arrangements by the gifted retro-
bandleader Bill Elliott might be described as “aural trompe l’oeil.”

“Begin the Beguine,” a song Sinatra recorded in 1946, has been
reoutfitted in the stealthy swinging style of Nelson Riddle’s famous
1956 arrangement for “I’ve Got You Under My Skin.” “Exactly Like You,”
which Sinatra performed only on the radio and never recorded,
recreates the braying saxophone sound of the Billy May band.

“The concept of the album followed a circuitous path,” Mr. Feinstein
explained recently in the piano room of his Upper East Side town
house. “It began as a tribute to the Greatest Generation without the
hackneyed material. Then it became songs Sinatra might have sung but
never did, then love songs, and finally songs he did perform but with
different arrangements, so that it wouldn’t sound like I was trying to
copy him.

“I spent a number of evenings with Sinatra in the ’80s and early ’90s,
and he was wonderful to me,” Mr. Feinstein continued. “I have qualms
about the way he sometimes changed lyrics. But he had a tremendous
reverence for songwriters and arrangers.”

More than two decades ago, when Mr. Feinstein was starting out as an
intimate piano-bar performer specializing in Gershwin, the notion that
he would some day record a swinging big-band album would have seemed
unlikely. Since then he has evolved into a stand-up concert
entertainer whose singing has grown in stamina, vocal range and
rhythmic freedom. Nowadays he plays 150 dates a year, mostly in large
halls.

As he has stepped out from behind the piano, he has also developed
into a polished storyteller and celebrity mimic. He is one of the last
all-around traditional entertainers in a postvaudeville tradition that
stretches from Al Jolson to Billy Joel.

“There is no one on this earth who has expanded, exposed and embraced
the American songbook as passionately as Michael,” Jonathan Schwartz,
the disc jockey and author who carries the torch for the same
tradition, said in an e-mail message.

Mr. Feinstein’s archivist’s mentality lends “The Sinatra Project” a
dimension of esoteric scholarship. One of the songs, “How Will It
Last?,” is an obscurity Sinatra recorded for Columbia in the 1940s
with Xavier Cugat but never released. Mr. Feinstein discovered that
the song, written by Max Lief and Joseph Meyer, had been introduced by
Joan Crawford in the early-1931 movie “Possessed.” On the album it
becomes a sultry bolero done tongue-in-cheek as a duet between Mr.
Feinstein and China Forbes of the retro-lounge group Pink Martini,
which plays on the cut.

Another obscurity, “The Same Hello, the Same Goodbye,” is an excerpt
from a four-part dramatic performance piece with lyrics by Alan and
Marilyn Bergman that Sinatra invited them to write in the late 1970s.

“After they finished it,” working with the composer John Williams,
they “drove to Sinatra’s compound in Palm Springs,” Mr. Feinstein
said. “After they played it for him, Sinatra, in tears, asked, ‘How do
you know so much about my life?’ And Marilyn said, ‘As if your life
was a closed book.’ But though he loved it, it was getting a little
late in the game for him, and he never learned it. When I found out
about it, I thought it would be a fabulous centerpiece for the album.
But Alan and Marilyn realized they had cannibalized it and used parts
for other songs. They were only able to extract one section.”

For Mr. Feinstein such detritus is artistic treasure that deserves to
be rescued from oblivion.

“I preserve things that are significant to me,” he said. “Only time
will determine what is important in the long term. But something can
be rediscovered only if someone has collected and preserved it.”

The walls of his town house are plastered with vintage movie posters
and photographs that lend the home he shares with his companion of 11
years, Terrence Flannery, the feel of a lively show business museum
(with elegant furniture). He and Mr. Flannery, who owns health
facilities in Indiana, are planning to be married on Oct. 17 in Los
Angeles with their friend Judith Sheindlin, better known as Judge
Judy, officiating. She will be assisted by Gabriel Ferrer, an
Episcopal priest and a son of Rosemary Clooney. Ms. Clooney, who was a
mother figure to Mr. Feinstein and to many other musicians, was the
biggest influence on his style.

When not touring Mr. Feinstein holes up in the basement studios of his
homes in New York and Los Angeles and digitizes his ever-expanding
sound archive. Its ultimate destination is a $160 million performing
arts center in Carmel, Ind., to be completed in 2010. An attached
museum, offered rent free, will be the national headquarters of the
Feinstein Foundation for the Education and Preservation of the Great
American Songbook and will include all his memorabilia and manuscripts.

Mr. Feinstein, unlike Harry Connick Jr. and Diana Krall, who made
their initial impact in cabaret then left it behind, still keeps one
foot firmly planted in the nightclub world. Situated in a room that is
a popular power-breakfast hub, Feinstein’s at Loews Regency has been
marginally profitable, but its value to the hotel in terms of prestige
and visibility is incalculable, said Jonathan M. Tisch, the chairman
and chief executive of the Loews hotel chain.

“To be honest,” he added, “hotel restaurants aren’t drawing that many
dinner reservations unless they have a celebrity chef. On a good night
the club draws 100 to 120 diners compared to the 10 or 12 before it
became a cabaret.”

Mr. Feinstein is expanding in other directions. After dabbling in
songwriting for years, he has composed most of the music for two
shows: “The Day They Saved Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade,” a family
musical, and “The Gold Room,” a two-character musical set in London
about the Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton. (Victoria Clark has
expressed interest in playing the role, he said.) Mr. Feinstein has
also been given the rights to compose music for a show based on “The
Thomas Crown Affair.”

“Composing gives me a sense of discovery that is exciting, because
sometimes it doesn’t feel like it’s coming from me, as opposed to
singing, when I know exactly where it’s coming from,” he said.

But the center of his life still revolves around his performing and
preserving the pre-rock music of Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan
Alley. “I think of myself as an enthusiast,” he said. “Even in the
guise of education, the goal is always to entertain.”