[Dixielandjazz] UK Tours

Glen Page gpage at dccnet.com
Fri Oct 24 17:11:17 PDT 2008

Hi Randy,

I cannot speak for all of the UK but for brass bands it has to be either
Yorkshire or Lancashire.Remember the movie "Brassed Off"?

A remarkable source of information , particularly for Lancashire and
adjoining areas is www.jazznorthwest.co.uk.

I am not totally unbiased in this as this is the area that I heard my first
jazz 60 years ago. I do know that Fred, who runs the site is very air in his
promotions and information distribution. Having said that I had a great time
this past summer at a festival on the south coast.After years of knocking
southern beers I found many really fine brews in the south where the weather
was undoubtedly better than in the north.

The finest recommendation for jazz in the north comes from the Saints J B in
the 50s with their recording of "Stay Out Of The North" recorded at the
Royal Festival Hall in Lunnon before Princess Elizatheth et al.

Randy, enjoy your trip but take a brolly and find some fine brews. In the
London area there is a free magazine issued that gives details of all the
traditional jazz being played in the area. If you have any contacts in that
area ask them to get some copies for you. Failing that perhaps a DJML reader
will see this and contact you.

DJML has helped me to find contacts around the world, some of whom have been
very close friends over the years.

Cheers, Glen