[Dixielandjazz] Corollary to Top Ten Facts of Life for Playing in Clubs and Restaurants

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 16:09:59 PDT 2008

Hi Marek,

Normally I'm not a great accordion fan either, but in the hands of a real
musician (like Jack Emblow), the Stomach Steinway is worth hearing. His
playing on Martin Taylor's Spirit of Django CDs is astonishing, especially
on "Sweet Sue". So astonishing in fact that the presenter of a BBC Jazz
programe in Scotland recently back-announced that track by saying "..if
Oscar Peterson had played the accordion, that's exactly how he'd have
sounded." Try and hear those Spirit of Django tracks: they've got fantastic
Martin Taylor guitar and the marvellous Dave O'Higgins on saxophones as well
as Jack playing hs socks off. It's not Dixieland or be-bop; just wonderful
music.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk