[Dixielandjazz] BG's UK band (was Corollary to Top Ten Facts of Life for Playing in Clubs and Restaurants)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 9 23:22:12 PDT 2008

Marek Boym wrote:
> Probably the best band BG had in many years, at least - the one I've
> enjoyed the most after the BG Story band.

Dear Marek,
BG though so too, according to Russell Conner, his acclaimed
discographer.
I was taught from an early age that we learn something new every day.
And it is true, once again.
Up until this thread, I had never heard of the Scottish brassman, John
McLevy.
Yet, on checking, I discovered that I have the 2LP album (London SPB
21) 'Benny Goodman Today', recorded live in Stockholm on 20 Feb 1970.
Featuring the very band you mention.
I had played it once or twice, years ago, filed it in the extensive
Goodman section of my collection, and forgotten it.
I note that the inner sleeve booklet of the LP includes four
photographs of a trumpet and fluglehorn player.
All look like the same person, so I assume it to be John McLevy.
A man with a 'high forehead'.
There are no captions to the pics and no personnel given anywhere on
the LP album.
However, my files provide full personnel details.
Now all I have to do is relisten to the 2 LPs and absorb the music
more closely, while listening out for Mr McLevy.
Thank you for the lead.

To answer an earlier question from you.
Yes, I do listen to jazz music for "historical" reasons.
All the time.
Even if a band is "not good", its historical value is very important
to me as a long-time (since 1946) record collector, discographer and
researcher.
There are 100s of rare musical jazz gems from the 1920s-30s out there.
In fact my first preference, always, is to play old 'historic' pre-
WWII jazz and blues music.
Kind regards,
Bill.