[Dixielandjazz] George Webb

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 5 19:10:36 PDT 2008

My mate Pat 'the Ladd' wrote in part:
> any one interested in the British Jazz Revival in the `40`s may be
> interested in this.
> In the Red Barn in Barnehurst there is a plaque recording that
> `George Webb and his Dixielanders came together here to play an
> almost forgotten form of Jazz¬.
> George  will be 90 this month.

Thanks for the update Pat,
It is great to hear that pioneer jazzman George Webb is still active.
Like his 94-year-old Australian friend and jazz colleague Graeme Bell.
For those who may not know, Lake Records in the UK released (in 1999)
a fine CD of the George Webb Dixielanders. 1943-1947 on
Lake LACD 128 [21 tracks 55 min]. Herewith the details.
   "Dippermouth Blues, Riverside Blues, New Orleans Hop Scop Blues,
Come Back Sweet Papa, Bluin' The Blues, Hesitating Blues, Willie The
Weeper, Original Dixieland One Step, Royal Garden Blues, Weary Blues,
South, London Blues, Jenny's Ball, Muskrat Ramble, I Ain't Gonna Give
Nobody None Of Mt Jelly Roll, West End Blues, The Soldier's Lament,
Tin Roof Blues, If You See Me Coming, Mahogany Hall Stomp, Get Out of
Here And Go On Home

Anyone who has had anything to do with British traditional jazz will
know of George Webb's Dixielanders, even if they have never actually
heard them. The band saw its foundation at the Vickers Armstrong
Armaments factory in Crayford, Kent during Wolrd War Two. Through a
twisting series of coincidences the band was formed from a collection
of jazz fans who learnt their music from records, and decided to try
and play jazz for their own amusement. Soon their playing became well
known and many young people were drawn to hear them and not a few,
such as Monty Sunshine, went away to buy instruments and to start
playing traditional jazz themselves. Their base was the Red Barn at
Barnehurst, Kent. Today there is a plaque outside that proclaims that
in 1941 George Webb's Dixielanders was the first band in England to
play New Orleans jazz. Whilst some may dispute the claim, none will
deny the influence that the band had in its short life from 1941 to
1948.

The tracks on the CD are from sessions in 1943, '45, '46, and '47.
Having heard the band for yourself, you realise why they were such a
key to the British jazz revival. The band changes from a 2 cornet lead
a-la-king Oliver, to single cornet played by a young and vibrant
Humphrey Lyttleton from 'West End Blues'; both styles are very
attractive and true to the style of the jazz masters they were
following. The sound quality varies from crude to reasonable. The
first four tracks are from a small non-commercial run recorded in very
primitive conditions that included someone have to lie in front of the
drums to stop them 'walking' across the lino floor. The recording
conditions for the remaining tracks improve, but all the tracks on the
CD come from records rather than master tapes. If top gun sound
engineer Paul Adams says this is the best he can get from the source
material, I hate to think what the originals sounded like.

But this CD is not about sound quality; it is about a slice of
history; it is about a band that was the prime mover, if not the
source of the British revivalist jazz movement. To know British jazz
you need to have and to listen to this CD. The sleeve notes are by
George Webb himself. These extensive notes give an outline of the
band's history and an idea of the British traditional jazz scene at
the time. It can easily be argued that the notes alone are worth the
cost of the CD!"

I have had this fine CD for many years, so do not know if it is still
available.
Lurking DJMLer, Jazz Jerry, will certainly know.
Last month NewMarket Music in Australia released a new compilation 2CD
set  of all Graeme Bell's compositions 1947-2007 (NewMarket NEW325.2).
This 46 track CD set contains newly recorded (2007) and historic
recordings of all Graeme's 42 original tunes.
Although I highly recommend the George Webb Lake CD, I have no
affiliation with Lake, other than having quite a lot of their
excellent LPs and CDs in my collection.
I can't make the same disclaimer for the Graeme Bell NewMarket CD set
as I was, with Graeme, its co-producer.
Kind regards,
Bill.