[Dixielandjazz] George Webb

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 5 14:44:33 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "pj.ladd"

>Hi,
> any one interested in the British Jazz Revival in the `40`s may be
> interested in this.

> In the Red Barn in Barnehurst there is a plaque recording that `George
> Webb and his Dixielanders came together here to play an almost forgotten
> form of Jazz¬.
> George  will be 90 this month.

<snip>

> George quit the business and ran a pub. `Best time of my life `he says

Pat, the pub was at Stansted Mountfitchet in Essex ~ altho' its name escapes
me. I went there a few times when roadieing with the Cambridge City Jass
Band in the early 1980's. It was the only pub I've ever been in where the
jukebox in the bar was loaded almost entirely with jazz 45's. IIRC, altho'
I'm not 100% certain of this, use of the jukebox was free.
~~
John D