[Dixielandjazz] Club & Restaurant Jazz Gigs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 4 19:51:56 PDT 2008

Dear Marek:

Don't know what happened to her, but do know that all 10 of those
Restaurant vignettes happened, and continue to happen to us.
Especially the request for a song we have just played. And the volume
complaint is another one that often happens.  We even had a customer
tell me we were too loud when I was with one of my trios, playing
without amplification, me softly playing my favorite love song,
Corcovado (Quiet Nights), in the low register with an un-amplified
double bass and un-amplified guitar.

Some band leaders berate a loud audience in pretty strong terms. In
restaurants,we just play louder. But in a real "jazz" club, we've
never had an out of control audience while we were playing. They
always get quiet enough to allow us, and the patrons, to hear the band
and the soloists. Perhaps because I talk to our audiences, introduce
the band members between songs etc., bring pretty girls on stage etc.,
as part of our program. Thus we control the flow by drawing audience
attention to what's happening on the bandstand, musically and otherwise.

Some band leaders I know will take a single customer complaint that
the band is too loud much too seriously. We just acknowledge it, say
we'll try and accommodate the complainer and keep playing the way we
think is best for the total audience.

I posted all ten as true events. Did two gigs today and numbers 1, 2,
3, 6 and 7 applied on either one or the other gig. But both audiences
were extremely responsive so it was a really great gig day.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband