[Dixielandjazz] Club & Restaurant Jazz Gigs>>A Survey

budtuba at aol.com budtuba at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 15:39:12 PDT 2008

 To all Listmates who are in bands playing at Clubs and Restaurants

Our band is increasingly finding that clubs and restaurants do not want to pay enough to support the band at a decent pay scale.? We have been passing out a bucket to patrons at each gig to solicit donations and they have been responding well to help make up the deficit? (we do not mention the club's pay scale or policy in this solicitation).? However, I know many bands work independently from the clubs they appear at and ask for a door charge.

Therefore, I would like to have any of you who wish to participate, to answer the following survey questions and send the answers by reply email direct to me.? I will keep track of the responses and periodically report back to all respondents with the results of the questions.

Here are the questions:

1.? Does your band play at a club or restaurant and receive pay from the operators?? Yes? No
--------------------------------------
2b.? If Yes, is the amount of pay received sufficient to pay all musicians a satisfactory amount?? Yes No? ---------------------------------
2b? Does the club or restaurant offer free eats or drinks for the band?? Yes No
--------------------------------------
2c? Does the club or restaurant offer special prices for the band to eat or drink?? Yes No
--------------------------------------
3.? Do you ask the audience for donations to supplement the band's pay?? Yes No
--------------------------------------
4.? Do you sell to the audience, CDs or tapes of your band?? Yes No
--------------------------------------
5.? Do you, or the club operators, charge an entrance fee for patrons?? Yes No
--------------------------------------
6.? On average, how many patrons stay to hear the band for at least one set? _______
--------------------------------------
7.? How often does your band play at this venue??
--------------------------------------
8.? Does your band play at more than one venue on a regular basis?? Yes No
--------------------------------------
9.? If Yes, please answer questions 1-7 for each venue.
10.? Where is your band located?? City, State, Country
11.? Is your band and the club or restaurant mutually doing business together?? Yes No

Any other responses or details that are included with this survey will be kept strictly confidential and not shared with others unless you specifically authorize me to do so.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
Trad Jazz since 1958...we ain't just whistling dixie!

?