[Dixielandjazz] Skiffle and/or Jug Bands

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 22 15:51:21 PST 2008

For more than you want to know about skiffle of jug bands from 1890
forward see:

http://nfo.net/usa/jugband.html

Or note this excerpt from the Chris Barber Website

"When Lonnie was playing in my amateur band in 1952, we thought we'd
do a couple of numbers we vaguely identified as 'skiffle', because we
had a 78 rpm record called 'hometown skiffle' from the 1920s which was
a sampler of blues artists on the Paramount label in America. We were
just doing what we liked. Indeed, our whole objective in playing jazz
and blues was to attempt to bring to people's notice a music which was
largely forgotten and ignored in both its home country and in
Europe." . . . .

The article goes on to say that they called the music 'skiffle'
amongst themselves and it wasn't till 1955 that they promoted the
music as 'skiffle' when they recorded "Skiffle Session' for the Nixa
label. Barber goes on to say:

"This group was of course called 'The Skiffle Group', which now
included drums played by the band's drummer Ron Bowden. The
interesting thing is that the people who listened to the skiffle group
and love the music most, the fans you might say, a whole generation of
young people in Britain, really did not pick upon the origins of the
music about which we were so careful and sincere, but more on the fact
that here was a music which you could play and sing yourself."

"Up to that time, music had really been something other people did.
You paid to see a group or you bought records by them. The idea that
virtually anybody could easily obtain or make instruments and play the
music for themselves was unheard of. Indeed, this was the beginning of
a cultural revolution in England, in that the music was now played
rather than mostly listened to. As a result, many youngsters began
playing instruments in skiffle or rock and roll groups, a number of
which had more than a modicum of success. John Lennon and Paul
McCartney, for example, got into skiffle and by this means found their
way into music. Quite arguably, without skiffle, people like that
might never have been led into playing music at all."

SOURCED FROM: http://www.chrisbarber.net/archives/skiffbook-03.htm

Very interesting. Explains, perhaps, why there are so many air
guitarists today. And why, if we are to succeed in the performance of
music, we must get the audience involved.<grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband