[Dixielandjazz] international problems with recorded playbacks

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed May 28 01:11:26 PDT 2008

Ted asked:
 I am moving to the Philippines this fall. I had hoped to take some of  my
LP's with me-or at least some tapes. I already knew about the voltage
problem (they operate on 220) but was told that the cycle problem also
exists, making playback off pitch. Not being an electrical engineer, I
wonder if the same problem applies to other countries using 220 voltage?

Ted, I've lived in Europe so long now that I can't remember if the cycle
change causes problems or not.  I seem to remember my original U.S. made
fridge ran slower, and I needed a monster jobber between the fridge & the
plug to boost up to 220v.

My suggestion, just buy a new tape machine when you get to the Philipines.
You'll pay more for what you need to change voltage for your U.S. machines
than new things will cost.

Will you be in Manila?  I was just there.  Unbelievably noisy on the
streets!  And, very, very dirty.  There must be nice areas, but downtown
was, let's just say "interesting"!  Traffic moves very slowly, and is
clogged with little tiny busses that everyone leaps on & off of, seemingly
at will.  Everybody honks their horns all the time.  Cacaphony!

Good luck!

Jim