[Dixielandjazz] international problems with recorded playbacks

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed May 28 09:32:28 PDT 2008

> Will you be in Manila?  I was just there.  Unbelievably noisy on the
> streets!  And, very, very dirty.  There must be nice areas, but downtown
> was, let's just say "interesting"!  Traffic moves very slowly, and is
> clogged with little tiny busses that everyone leaps on & off of, seemingly
> at will.  Everybody honks their horns all the time.  Cacaphony!

I was in South America for a tour with the AF and this is true there.
Without horns they couldn't drive.  I was also struck by how dirty the
landscape and everything else was.  Trash goes on the ground.  People change
their oil on the street and the air was very polluted with car exhaust.
This was probably caused by the altitude.  The busses were about the same.

While we have some of the same problems here we are a paradise compared to
them.  I noticed during my trips to Germany that everything there was a
quantum leap from here and not even on the same planet from S. America.  My
grandfather who was German wouldn't even spit on the street.

There is no excuse for trashing your country or home.  How much money you
have does not make any difference where you throw your trash.  I only saw
one neat park in Ecuador and that one had armed guards on it.  Some of those
countries are absolutely breath taking so far as natural beauty until you
look along side of the roads.  I think it has to do with self respect.
People that have no control over their lives seem to just not care.
Larry
StL