[Dixielandjazz] Mahogany Hall Stompers

cmhallin at algonet.se cmhallin at algonet.se
Tue May 27 07:13:15 PDT 2008

>Chris Tyle wrote:
>The MHS played as a trio or quartet for several years. I joined on
drums
>in January 1989 when I first moved to New Orleans. Scott Black was on
>cornet. Before I joined Hal Smith was on drums, with Scott and
Jacques
>Gauthe' on reeds. Later on Jacques and Scott left and I moved over to
>cornet, and Hal back to the drums.

I have great memories of you, Chris, together with Steve Pistorious
and Hal Smith letting me and my friends sit in with the MHS for several
hours at the Mahogany Hall on Bourbon Street when we were visiting New
Orleans in April 1991. Not only were we thoroughly impressed by your
level of playing (way above our own, I hasten to add), but also very
much by the way you warmly welcomed four young musicians whom you
didn't know from Adam.

I also remember that by a nice coincidence, we were able to provide
the missing bits of "standard" instrumentation (i.e. clarinet,
trombone, banjo and tuba), and to this day that afternoon remain one of
my finest musical memories. I don't know if you remember it at all (I
certainly can't blame you if you don't!), but seeing the MHS brought up
here on the DJML, I just wanted to thank you (and Steve and Hal, of
course!) most warmly! Thanks!

All the very best,

/Mattias

---
Mattias Hallin · Brussels · Belgium · <cmhallin at algonet.se>

"Oh bury me thar! With my battered git-tar!
A-screamin' my heart out fer yew!"