[Dixielandjazz] Oliver's recording of Wa Wa Wa

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 28 01:52:44 PDT 2008

  cmhallin at algonet.se wrote [in part]:

> However, a simple Google search turned up a very interesting page of
> bibliographical references on the Library of Congress web site:
>      http://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/melrose.html

Thank you for that great listing.
I have been trying for some time to access the LoC  copyright files,
but with limited luck so far.
Probably, because I have been 'asking the wrong questions'.
Your link may be a great help for accessing others at the LoC.

> The rest of the list.......is very interesting too, and I think
> it would be quite rewarding to compare some of those stocks to period
> recordings.............. I have long suspected that musicians at the
> time took
> a much more instrumental approach to using commercially available
> material such as stocks than later generations, viewing the past either
> through a romanticized haze or wearing ideological blinders or
> both.....

I certainly agree.
I have printed out the Melrose list and, in a spare moment (ha ha),
will compare some lesser known records for the same tunes from the
period to see if they have similar arrangements, hopefully indicating
the use of a common chart.
I already have several in mind.
Kind regards,
Bill.