[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Tunes

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 14 15:28:31 PDT 2008

Steve and others, I don't know when "dixieland" was used to designate some of OKOM. However in the the early 1800s, a bank in Louisiana printed ten dollar bills, dix is the word for ten in french, and therefore the bills were referenced as "Dixies". I assume that because they came from the South, they could then be considered to come from "Dixieland" .

  The ODJB  which recorded music i the ealy 1900s could have been responsible for the connection. By associating their name with the kind of rythm and musicc they produced. Especially where the group came from.  A question, did NORK have a "Dixieland" connection as to music designation ??

  As for "Jass" or "Jazz", many stories abound for this connection.

  As a conjecture, could there have been a designation, musically, that music from the New Orleans region be called "Dixieland" and the other, Fox Trots, one Step and others be  called JAZZ ?, The music played by the White dance bands at the time ??

  All this is MHO.

  Slainte

  Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge

  Ed Coltrin

Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:
  So far, I favor the position that there were no "Dixieland" tunes.
Weren't they all originally called Fox Trots? Or Rags? Or One Steps?
I think "Dixieland" as a description of a type of jazz came
afterwards, having originally referred to "Southern USA" as a region.

Bill Haesler, what do those old ODJB record labels say? I know that
Armstrong's original 78's of "Potato Head Blues" and "Put Em Down
Blues" say "Fox Trot" on the label. Likewise for Beiderbeck's "Rhythm
King", Jazz Harmonizer's "Riverboat Shuffle", and Oliver's "Sweet
Emmaline"

Even the Wolverines "Fidgety Feet" says One Step on the label.

It was simply danceable jazz, IMO, not "Dixieland" until after the
songs were recorded, that term having been coined later, by others,
rather than by the originators.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com